How to invest in stocks & ETFs online
You need a Vanguard Brokerage Account to trade stocks and ETFs (exchange-traded funds). It's easy to get started, and we can help you along the way.
Find a stock or ETF
Already have a brokerage account?
You can start investing now.
Simplify your portfolio management by transferring your investments from other companies to Vanguard.
Need to open a brokerage account?
Choose an account type based on your investing goal
- A general account for you or owned jointly with someone else.
- A Roth or traditional IRA.
- A custodial account for a child.
- A SEP-IRA if you're self-employed or own a small company.
Get a settlement fund
Your settlement fund will be Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund.
Open your account online in about 10 minutes
It doesn't take long to open an account if you have some information handy, such as your Social Security and bank account numbers.
Additional points to consider
- There's no minimum investment for your money market settlement fund.
- There's no minimum initial investment for stocks and ETFs—it's the price per share.
- You’ll pay no commission to trade ETFs & stocks online in your Vanguard Brokerage Account.
- You can start trading right away, but must pay for your trade within 2 business days after the day you initiate the trade.
- For newly opened brokerage accounts, you must have money in your settlement fund before you can begin trading.
Have stocks somewhere else?
We're here to help
FIND THE RIGHT INVESTMENTS
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
A fund used to pay for and receive proceeds from trades in your brokerage account.