A group of women are smiling and laughing.


Not all investments pay dividends. If yours do, make sure you understand how they'll be taxed.
2 minute read

Points to know

  • Dividends are payments to owners of stocks, mutual funds, or ETFs.
  • Your tax rate on dividends depends both on how long you've owned the shares and on your tax bracket.

What are dividends?

Dividends are payments of income from companies in which you own stock. If you own stocks through mutual funds or ETFs (exchange-traded funds), the company will pay the dividend to the fund, and it will then be passed on to you through a fund dividend.

Because dividends are taxable, if you buy shares of a stock or a fund right before a dividend is paid, you may end up a little worse off.

Learn how "buying a dividend" will increase your taxes


Funds that own foreign stocks may have to pay foreign taxes on dividends. They can elect to pass through those taxes to shareholders, reducing the dividend amount. If you're in this situation, the amount of foreign tax paid may then be used to offset your U.S. tax liability.

Note that when you view dividend amounts on vanguard.com, these taxes will already have been deducted. On your tax forms, the total dividend amount (before taxes) and the amount of taxes deducted will be reported as separate line items.

What are qualified dividends?

Dividends can be "qualified" for special tax treatment. (Those that aren't are called "nonqualified.") Most payments from the common stock of U.S. corporations are qualified as long as you hold the investment for more than 60 days.

Stocks of foreign companies traded through American Depositary Receipts (ADRs) or on U.S. markets may also be qualified.

In order for dividends passed through by a fund to be qualified, the fund must first meet the more-than-60-days requirement for the individual securities paying the dividends. Additionally, the owner of the fund must own the fund shares for more than 60 days.

What's the tax rate on dividends?

Qualified dividends are subject to a 0%, 15%, or 20% tax rate, depending on your level of taxable income.*

Dividends that are nonqualified are taxed at your usual income tax rate.

How are dividends reported?

Dividend income is reported to you and to the IRS on Form 1099-DIV.

See more about tax forms

Read more

Buying a dividend
Purchasing a stock or fund just to get the dividend? Put this on the list of "great strategies for people who like paying taxes."

Saving for retirement or college?

Take advantage of tax breaks just for you! See guidance that can help you make a plan, solidify your strategy, and choose your investments.

Already know what you want?

From mutual funds and ETFs to stocks and bonds, find all the investments you're looking for, all in one place.

Get more from Vanguard. Call 855-850-6972 to speak with an investment professional.

*If your qualified dividend income pushes you into the 25% tax bracket, only the amount of dividends that exceeds the 15% bracket will be subject to taxes.

All investing is subject to risk, including the possible loss of the money you invest. Be aware that fluctuations in the financial markets and other factors may cause declines in the value of your account. There is no guarantee that any particular asset allocation or mix of funds will meet your investment objectives or provide you with a given level of income. Diversification does not ensure a profit or protect against a loss.

Vanguard's advice services are provided by Vanguard Advisers, Inc. ("VAI"), a registered investment advisor, or by Vanguard National Trust Company ("VNTC"), a federally chartered, limited-purpose trust company.

The services provided to clients will vary based upon the service selected, including management, fees, eligibility, and access to an advisor. Find VAI's Form CRS and each program's advisory brochure here for an overview.

VAI and VNTC are subsidiaries of The Vanguard Group, Inc., and affiliates of Vanguard Marketing Corporation. Neither VAI, VNTC, nor its affiliates guarantee profits or protection from losses.