A banner with 4 gradient shades of green.

Tax forms you may receive

Many investment tax forms sound pretty similar. Make sure you know which ones you need and what to do with them.
3 minute read

Points to know

  • 1099 forms report income (including investment income) to you and the IRS.
  • Other forms are less common, but you may receive them for certain transactions or types of investments.

1099 forms

In general, 1099 forms report income other than wages. There are several types of 1099 forms.

As an investor, you might receive these forms:

  • 1099-B, which reports capital gains and losses.
  • 1099-DIV, which reports dividend income and capital gains distributions.
  • 1099-INT, which reports interest income.
  • 1099-R, which reports distributions from retirement accounts.

Other types of 1099 forms are less common, but you might receive them if you invest in certain types of securities or accounts, or if you perform certain transactions. These include:

  • 1099-MISC, which reports substitute payments in lieu of dividends.
  • 1099-OID, which reports any original issue discount (OID) from debt obligations, including Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities (TIPS).
  • 1099-Q, which reports distributions, including transfers to another financial institution, from education savings accounts (ESAs) and 529 accounts.

Learn more about these forms and when you'll receive them


The forms you receive may differ depending on whether you invest through funds or individual securities. For example, interest from individual bonds is reported on Form 1099-INT, but interest from bonds held through a mutual fund is called an "interest dividend" and reported on Form 1099-DIV.

Other tax forms

There are several other forms you might receive from Vanguard. Here are the most common.

  • Form 5498, which includes information about transactions in traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, SEP IRAs, and SIMPLE IRAs.
  • Form 5498-ESA, which includes information about contributions to education savings accounts (ESAs).
  • Form 1042-S, which reports information about investment income and distributions for accounts owned by nonresident aliens.

Learn more about these forms and when you'll receive them


You can find information for specific Vanguard funds that you may need for your tax reporting, including information about fund distributions, qualified dividends, intercorporate dividends, and income from government obligations.

See tax information for Vanguard funds >

Saving for retirement or college?

Take advantage of tax breaks just for you! See guidance that can help you make a plan, solidify your strategy, and choose your investments.

Already know what you want?

From mutual funds and ETFs to stocks and bonds, find all the investments you're looking for, all in one place.

Get more from Vanguard. Call 855-850-6972 to speak with an investment professional.

Most tax forms are required to be provided only for amounts of $10 or more, or if taxes have been previously withheld. However, you must report any investment income or distributions you receive to the IRS. All investment income or distributions during the year are reported on your year-end mutual fund or brokerage account statement.

Vanguard's advice services are provided by Vanguard Advisers, Inc. ("VAI"), a registered investment advisor, or by Vanguard National Trust Company ("VNTC"), a federally chartered, limited-purpose trust company.

The services provided to clients will vary based upon the service selected, including management, fees, eligibility, and access to an advisor. Find VAI's Form CRS and each program's advisory brochure here for an overview.

VAI and VNTC are subsidiaries of The Vanguard Group, Inc., and affiliates of Vanguard Marketing Corporation. Neither VAI, VNTC, nor its affiliates guarantee profits or protection from losses.