Skip to main content

Tax reporting for IRA contributions, conversions & recharacterizations

Already have an IRA? Here are some brief explanations for how we report IRA contributions, conversions, and recharacterizations for tax purposes.


Contributions for all types of IRAs—Roth, traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE—are reported on Form 5498.


Conversions from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA are reported on Form 1099-R.

The distribution code in Box 7 is determined by your age at the time you converted.


Recharacterizations from a Roth IRA to a traditional IRA—and vice versa—are reported on 2 different tax forms:

  • Form 1099-R reports the distribution.
  • Form 5498 reports the contribution.

If you contributed or converted in 2017 and recharacterized in 2018

You'll see an "R" in Box 7 of Form 1099-R.

Although the original contribution or conversion took place in 2017, the recharacterization will be reported for the 2018 tax year.

If you contributed and then recharacterized, all in 2018

You'll see an "N" in Box 7 of Form 1099-R.

If you recharacterize a contribution in 2020

Since the recharacterization takes place in the 2020 tax year, you'll receive the tax form that reports the transaction in early 2021.