How to transfer money to Vanguard
It's easy to do most account transfers online. But if you have questions or need a hand, we're happy to help.
What's the difference between a transfer and a rollover?
There's often confusion, especially when it comes to IRAs, about which one to use.
Transfer online in 3 steps
Gather your information
Here's what you'll need to prepare for your transfer:
- An account statement dated within the past 90 days from the company that currently holds the account you want to transfer.
- The dollar amount you want to transfer.
- The type of account you want to transfer (IRA, individual, joint, etc.).
- Your Vanguard account number (if you intend to transfer the money into an existing Vanguard account).
Start your transfer online
You'll get useful tips along the way, but you can call us if you have a question.
You'll need to:
- Enter the account information requested. Your instructions from that point will depend on the company holding your account and your account information. Not all transfers follow the same process, so we'll ask only for the information needed to complete your particular type of transfer.
- Enter your personal information, such as your birth date and Social Security number, or if you're already a Vanguard client, confirm the information that we've been able to prefill for you.
- Review your information and click Submit. (Note that for some transfers, you may have to download, complete, and print a form or call one of our investment professionals.)
Want an idea of how long a transfer could take?
Track your transfer
As soon as you initiate your transfer, you'll receive an e-mail that explains how you can track the status of your transfer online.
Once your transfer's complete, you'll receive an e-mail confirmation from us.
We’re here to help
Talk with an experienced investment professional.
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern time
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
It all hinges on where your money’s coming from.
Initiate an account transfer to move money from an IRA or other account held at another company into a new or existing IRA or other Vanguard account.
Initiate a rollover to move money from an employer-sponsored plan, such as a 401(k) or 403(b), into a new or existing Vanguard IRA®.
The exchange of an annuity from one insurance company to another without incurring current income taxes. To qualify, the annuity must be funded with after-tax contributions. The transaction is named after the applicable section of the Internal Revenue Code.