Skip to main content

Pick a type of IRA for your rollover

You can keep things simple by rolling over to an IRA that handles your taxes in the same way as your 401(k). Or you can make a change.

IRA options for your 401(k) rollover

Both Roth and traditional IRAs offer advantages. Choosing one for your rollover depends on the type of account you have now and other factors, such as when you want to pay taxes.

What you can do

  • Roll over a traditional 401(k) into a traditional IRA, tax-free.
  • Roll over a Roth 401(k) into a Roth IRA, tax-free.
  • Roll over a traditional 401(k) into a Roth IRA—this would be considered a "Roth conversion," so you'd owe taxes.

What you can't do

  • Convert a Roth 401(k) to a traditional IRA.

Want to see a side-by-side comparison of IRAs?

Need guidance rolling over your 401(k)?

One of our rollover specialists can explain the differences and answer your questions.

Call us at 800-523-9442.

Start your rollover online

We're here to help

Talk to an experienced rollover specialist.

Call 800-523-9442

Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern time

Move money into or out of your existing 401(k) at Vanguard.

Call 800-523-1188

Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., Eastern time