Annuities as part of your retirement strategy
Prudent management of your personal and retirement plan assets, combined with Social Security, may provide enough income for your retirement. Annuities are also a smart way to save for retirement, and they can help ensure that you don't outlive your assets. Our specialists and tools can help you understand annuities and decide if one is right for you.
What's an annuity?
An annuity is an investment you can use to either save for retirement or get income in retirement.
- If you're saving for retirement, deferred annuities offer tax-deferred savings, much like a 401(k) or IRA.
- If you want income in retirement, you can get guaranteed income through an immediate annuity or a deferred annuity with a lifetime withdrawal benefit.
Annuities are insurance products, and the company that issues them is responsible for the guarantees it makes to you.*
When you purchase an annuity, you have several decisions to make. Some things you will need to consider include:
- How you want your money invested.
- Whether you want a fixed or variable rate.
- How long you want payments to last if you're looking for income.
You'll also want to check out the fees and charges, which can vary widely among different companies so it's smart to compare costs. Annuities cost more than some other savings vehicles because you're paying for the guarantees in your annuity contract.
How to choose an annuity
|Consider a deferred variable annuity if you:||Consider a deferred variable annuity with a guaranteed lifetime withdrawal benefit if you:||Consider a deferred fixed annuity if you:||Consider an immediate (income) annuity if you:|
News and perspectives
Talk to an annuity specialist at 800-357-4720.